Friday, August 8, 2008

Last Day of Band Camp tomorrow!

Today was another very nice day for band camp! The kids worked hard to perfect their marching on the first and second songs of their show, so it was a lucky thing that the weather was beautiful and mild. Though I'm happy with the progress we made on marching, I'm a little disappointed that we weren't able to make time to work on the third song today. That's where the big drum break is! I'm hoping we'll get some time tomorrow morning to work on it, but I'm not sure what the sectional time will allow. I have told the kids that they are required to have the 1st and 2nd songs memorized by rehearsal tomorrow morning. Most of them are very close already, and I know this is something they can do.

I tried to put a video of marching rehearsal here, but for some reason, I can't seem to upload video. I'll try again later...

Another thing that must happen is that the students need to practice their parts at home with metronomes, and they need to go over their show music every day between tomorrow and the next rehearsal, which won't be until next Thursday. Ack! We definitely don't want to have to do any back-tracking and re-learning of music, marching, etc. Going through the steps and music mentally is also a good way to practice.

It was really fun to see the students this evening in a non-working setting. Thanks again to the Crouches for hosting! There will be other opportunities for the drumline students to get together outside of rehearsal, some of which I may orchestrate, but most of which will be initiated by the students themselves.

See you in the morning!

No comments: