Saturday, August 9, 2008

Thanks for your hard work!

Hello everyone,

Congratulations on surviving band camp, 2008! And not only did you survive, you made something out of it. I've asked for a lot from each of you this week, and I hope that you're as proud of your accomplishments as I am! Here are some photos for your enjoyment...

Unfortunately, I only got the pit folks in video (not in still shots), and I am still unable to upload videos from my iphoto for some reason. Argh! I'll be sure and get some still photos of the pit next time! These students have worked very hard, often totally self-led, on music and instruments with which they're all unfamiliar, and they've pretty much nailed it all. Accomplishing that, plus learning the very difficult task of relying on their ears to stay with the band as the sound travels across the field and sidelines has been a huge job. On top of that, they have choreographed some great dance moves, not to mention the "dance" of just getting around to their different instruments. These are brave and sturdy folks, and we (battery, instructors, and Dr. Bryant) are all proud to have them be a part of the drumline!



Circle drill with Keeshan--now that I know how circle drill works, you can bet we'll be doing more of that!
















Today, I just tried to capture random shots of the kids as they marched--somewhat tricky with them being far across the field with other musicians marching between us and the delay on the camera shutter.

I was intrigued by the results where I did actually catch a shot of a drummer. Which of these bass drummers is not like the others? Which of these drummers is following instructions?
























































Kudos to Shelly, who in this photo at least, is watching the drum major!!









One of each: snare, cymbal player, and tenors...
































Keeshan was a big help the past couple of days. Here, he's standing on the sidelines, trying to play it for you!



Jordan makes teaching drumline look as easy as playing in the sand with a toddler....hmmm.

In all seriousness, Jordan's help was absolutely invaluable the past two weeks. He co-wrote the music, he was my slack-up-taker in rehearsals, an errand runner, AND moral support. And to top it all off, he and Keeshan made a run to Ingles for diapers this morning when Isaac and I found ourselves in a desperate situation! Thanks so much, guys!

That's my son, Isaac, in the above photo, by the way. He's about a third of the way toward being able to say Keeshan's entire name.





















Maybe the best pay-off of the whole two weeks--having the entire marching band dance and yell to your cadence! I hope all of you thoroughly relished that joyous moment! (The drumline is hidden inside the circle of crazy dancing teenagers!) Just wait until you're playing for bleachers full of folks!


You guys rock! Have a great weekend, and come ready to move forward on Tuesday!

No comments: