Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Tough Day!

Today was TOUGH!! And I know the kids will back me up on this. The stress level got ramped up as the battery (marching drummers/cymbals) wound up learning and marching drill for the second song, which they barely know the music for. The pit got their first real taste of trying to play along with the band--usually a pretty difficult experience. In fact, today I remembered for the first time in many years the first couple of days I played in the pit in my own high school band--I was often in tears of frustration and embarassment those first couple of days. Plus, of course it was crazy hot outside, and we're lugging heavy equipment and instruments all around the campus in the heat.

I myself am learning some valuable lessons this week (drink more water, push the kids harder, push the kids less, clone myself so I can work with everyone at once), some of which will be easier to achieve than others. The bottom line, and I'm talking to you students when I say this, is that what you did today was very difficult. Especially considering that most of you are complete marching drumline rookies. I appreciate that fact, and I am looking for ways to make this experience better for everyone. I know that several of you are very stressed out thinking that you're not going to be able to do this, and the fact is that you are "FLAT-OUT WRONG." I believe in every single one of you and your ability to do a wonderful job! Every single one of you.

If you're feeling discouraged, remember that the hardest part of camp was probably today. It was the longest day outside so far, it was the hottest day, and it was the craziest in terms of learning new music and drill. You now have learned more than half your show music. You at least partially know 8 or 9 warm-ups/cadences. You have ALL improved your playing (pit too!) and staying in step in spite of all the new stuff today. Tomorrow, we'll spend some good intensive time as a section really learning the music for the 2nd tune. We'll hopefully learn at least part of the 3rd tune. If you come in focused and believe in yourselves (as I do!), we will make progress that you will not believe. Please hang with me and trust me, and know that I am constantly on the look-out for ways to refine my expectations and the way that I ask for things from you.

I am looking forward to seeing all of your spunky faces in the morning!

Parents, please do what you can in terms of supporting the amazing job that your child is doing. Ask your student how it's going at camp, and give lots of encouragement! Plan to attend parent preview this Saturday evening.

Also, everyone, I think it would be really therapeutic, not to mention fun, for us to get together for an easy dinner and some chill time on Friday evening. I would love to host a cook-out at my place, but logistics are a little hard since I'm on my own with my little guy this week. Also, I'm in West Asheville, and I know transportation can be an issue. Does anyone have a backyard on the Reynolds side of town that you could donate for an hour or two Friday night? We could all chip in for some pizza or burgers and just relax for some post-bandcamp celebration. Send me a quick e-mail and let me know A) if you're interested in getting together and B) if you can host or contribute to the festivities.

See you very soon!
Best,
Kari Richmond

No comments: